French family vocabulary
French lesson 6 of vocabulary: family vocabulary in French
The lexicon (vocabulary) of the family is very important in French. Indeed, it is widely used by Francophones. At the beginner level (A1 level), this is one of the first things to learn and master. The French family vocabulary will allow you in particular to introduce your family in French. In the beginning, it will be very useful for you to have a basic conversation. Afterwards, it will also be very useful to you because the vocabulary of the family is very much used. The video below will teach you family vocabulary in French:
To properly learn the French family vocabulary, repeat after the teacher. When the teacher says “ma mère”, say “ma mère”, when the teacher says “mon père”, say “mon père”, etc. This way, you will be able to understand them well orally and to pronounce them well. Use the diagram in the video to help you place the different members of your family. To do this well, watch the video several times, repeating each family member after the teacher. To write and read them properly, copy the list below several times:
- ma mère, mon père, mes parents = my mother, my father, my parents
- ma grand-mère, mon grand-père, mes grands-parents = my grandmother, my grandfather, my grandparents
- ma femme, mon mari = my wife, my husband
- mon beau-père, ma belle-mère, ses parents, mes beaux-parents = my father-in-law, my mother-in-law, his parents, my parents-in-law
- mon fils, notre fils, ma fille, notre fille, mes enfants, nos enfants = my son, our son, my daughter, our daughter, my children, our children
- ma soeur, mon frère = my sister, my brother
- mon beau-frère, ma belle-soeur = my brother-in-law, my sister-in-law
- sa fille, leur fille, son fils, leur fils = his daughter, their daughter, his son, their son
- ma nièce, mon neveu = my niece, my nephew
- sa cousine, son cousin = his cousin, his cousin.
To deepen this French family vocabulary lesson, you can study the French course: learn to introduce your family and the French course: learn to describe an object.
Once you have successfully mastered this French family vocabulary lesson, you can move on to the next lexicon lesson:
French vocabulary lesson 7: sports, hobbies & leisure activities in French
You can find other French vocabulary lessons by clicking here. You can also perfect your learning of the French language thanks to our:
We regularly publish new content to learn French. To be kept informed of new publications, subscribe to the Youtube channel Flemotion : apprendre le français (video 100% in French but still useful for English speakers to learn French) and to the Youtube channel Learn French with Flemotion (videos with explanations in English) and to the Facebook page Flemotion : apprendre le français.